Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Blueberry Shortbread Bars

I know, I know...it's been a while.  I'm just not sure what's up with me.  I still like to cook; I definitely still like to eat.  I certainly miss interacting with all my nice blogger friends.  I'm just lacking something.  Some spark; some driving force.  But I'm certainly not going to beat myself up about it.  I'm told I need to eat less protein, some small kidney issue.  Is there protein in blueberries?  I hope not!  




I love love love blueberries, but they can be just so expensive.  But I splurged today so I could make these delicious shortbread bars for me and my berry-loving son.  These are perfect...not too sweet.  Really lets the blueberries shine.  The recipe calls for chinese five spice, which seemed a bit odd to me.  So I just used nutmeg and added some lemon zest to the dough.  These are perfect with a big glass of iced tea.  




Here's the recipe from Allrecipes

1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small
cubes
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon ice water, or more if
needed
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place butter cubes in the freezer for 15 minutes.
2.Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Sprinkle in Chinese five-spice powder.
3.Cut in frozen butter using a pastry cutter until the butter pieces are about the size of peas. Mix in egg yolk and continue cutting in until thoroughly combined. Drizzle in ice water and stir to combine. The dough should just come together when pinched between your fingers.
4.Pour about 3/4 of the crumb mixture into an ungreased 9x9-inch baking dish. Press the mixture down firmly using the back of a spoon. Spread blueberries in one layer and sprinkle with remaining crumbly dough.
5.Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden and sides are crisp and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before serving.


So, what's been going on with all of you?  My son graduated eight grade yesterday...on to high school, wow!  My daughter made it through 6th grade, although it was quite a struggle sometimes.  (I have to sing "just keep swimming" in my head quite a bit!)   Planning a couple of camping trips in this summer, and recently celebrated my 16th anniversary in the crazy little town of Jerome, Arizona.  


6 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I should have a ton of blueberries soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So timely, I just pick some blue berries this morning.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure you're safe with blueberries! These bars look yummy, and just the thing for an afternoon treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberry anything and this looks delicious! :)

    Anne ~ Uni Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete