Monday, January 30, 2012

Raspberry Icebox Cake

It's time for me to confess to anyone reading this that I have an addiction.  I'm addicted to downloading free books for my Kindle.  I just can't stop.  I have more books on there than I will ever read in my lifetime...not even sure if any of them are worth reading.  But one of the books I downloaded is called "30 Delicious Refrigerator Cake Recipes".  I like when a title just says what it means :)

Anyway, this book is comprised of desserts that are put together quickly then set in the refrigerator to meld together and do delicious things.  Some of them have a cookie base, or graham crackers.  Some of them require you to bake a cake or buy some type of cake and use it to soak up other good things.  I was drawn to this one because it has raspberries and marshmallows, both things that my son enjoys.


sorry for such cruddy pics, took them at 9pm


Basically it's a graham cracker crust on bottom, topped with raspberries combined with jello, and a whipped cream/marshmallow topping.  I had a little trouble with the proportions.  When they say "24 graham crackers" I think they mean the squares, not the rectangles, as I had way too much cracker crumbs.  And I think in the jello part I would have used a little more water to bulk up the amount of filling it makes up.  But otherwise it was quite delicious, and not as labor intensive as it sounds.  My daughter how usually doesn't care for any berries even liked it.  



Here's the recipe:

24 graham crackers, crushed
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 pkg raspberry gelatin (6 oz)
1 cup boiling water
15 oz frozen raspberries
20 large marshmallows
1/3 cup milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Mix butter, brown sugar, and graham cracker crumbs.  Reserve 1/4 cup for the topping.  Use the remainder to create a crust by pressing it into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

2. Bake at 350 for 10 mins then set aside to cool.

3.  Dissolve raspberry gelatin in boiling water.  Add the frozen raspberries and stir until melted.  Chill until partially set, then spread the mixture over the crust.

4.  Place the milk and marshmallow into a pan.  Slowly heat until marshmallows melt.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool.  When cool fold into the whipped cream and spread on top of raspberry mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.

5.  Chill for 3-4 hours before serving.


Speaking of berries, I was recently the winner of a whole pantload of Driscoll berry coupons from Emily at Sugar Plum!  Can't wait to load up on all kinds of berries to make more yummy things :)
  

1 comment:

  1. Such delicious flavors - this sounds like a very special treat - thanks for sharing it!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete